November 25, 2010

We'll Always Have Americans In Paris


Hey there humans,

What do you think of when you hear the phrase Americans in Paris? The movie or dried-noodle company of the same or similar name? Well I don't. What I think of is one of the best classes I have taken at Rockhurst, which happens to share its name with the phrase I mentioned above: Americans in Paris. The class focuses on American writers like F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, and T.S. Eliot while they were in exile in Paris during the early part of the 20th century.

The class is taught by Dr. P.C. Miller, a terrific instructor who keeps the class interesting and fun.

The work that I have most thoroughly enjoyed in this class is the poem "The Wasteland" by T.S. Eliot. Difficult to understand but extremely rewarding to read, the piece is an absolute tour-de-force exploring the concepts of life, destruction, and the possibilities of re-birth. It is amazing (even if I don't quite understand all of it yet!)

Peace.

Joey

No comments:

Post a Comment